When we first moved into Kraemer House, what is now the pantry/laundry room was essentially two separate spaces–a mud room and a small pantry. Oddly, there was no way to pass through the back of the house without first stepping outside through one door onto the porch and then crossing over to another set of doors to reenter the other side of the house. Luckily, neither of us sleep walks—otherwise, who knows where we might have ended up! We decided to fix the situation by taking down the wall that separated the two spaces and create a nice pantry/laundry room. We have always gone to great lengths to preserve the original footprint of the house and have only made changes when it seemed practical. This was definitely one of those instances! During the demolition, we discovered a rear staircase once occupied the space. We had seen pictures in the local history books that showed a structure on the back of the house and knew that it was removed during an extensive remodel in 1944. Before then, this structure housed the kitchen and maids’ quarters. The editors at This Old House magazine liked it so much, they featured it in a reader remodel issue!
Before, During, and After