I love hand pies. You don’t have to use a plate or utensils — but you may need a napkin for these because inside is a bit of gooey cream cheese and caramel just waiting to ooze out. These Salted Caramel Baked Banana Hand Pies are best when warm right out of the oven but I have to confess that I like them cold too. With a big icy cold glass of milk!
Last week I posted about my runner-up recipe in the Chiquita Cooking Lab Contest. This is another one of my week 8 entries. While my Crème Caramel Banana Bread Puddings were recognized as a runner up, these little hand pies deserve a little attention too!
They are quick and easy to make and the inside is filled with some of my favorite things:
Here’s all you need to do:
- flour for dusting
- 1 sheet puff pastry (from 1-pound box), thawed according to package directions
- 6 teaspoons cream cheese
- 2 Chiquita Bananas, sliced into thin rounds
- 6 soft caramel candies, roughly chopped
- ¼ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons flaked sea salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Heat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- Lightly flour work surface. Carefully unfold puff pastry and roll into a 12-inch x 12-inch square. Using a 3½-inch cookie cutter, cut out 12 rounds.
- Place 6 of the dough rounds on prepared baking sheet. Dividing evenly, top each with 1 teaspoon cream cheese, sliced Chiquita Banana rounds, chopped caramel candies, 2 teaspoons walnuts, and ¼ teaspoon sea salt.
- In a small bowl whisk the egg and water to combine. Brush a small amount of the egg mixture around the edge of the pastry round, and top with remaining dough rounds. Crimp edges with tines of a fork to seal and cut slits in the top to vent. Brush tops with egg mixture and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake, rotating pan halfway through, for 14-18 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
For a more decadent version, add come crisply cooked peppered bacon before baking for some extra yum!
The post Salted Caramel Baked Banana Hand Pies appeared first on Green Thumb White Apron.