Happy spring! On the first day of spring here in my neck of the woods it snowed. 6 inches! Really Mother Nature? Is that how you want to play?
It was, however, probably to prettiest snow of the entire winter. Light and fluffy, it flocked the trees and shrubs beautifully. Still, I’m over it. Pretty or not I’m ready for some green instead of brown and warm instead of cold.
The upside of the crappy weather is that I don’t feel the least bit guilty spending all day in the kitchen experimenting. Lately I’ve been creating a lot of things with lemons so look for some lemony deliciousness coming soon. When everything is blah and gray outside, lemons can just, well, brighten anyone’s day!
Heard of curd?
Fruit curd is a delicious intensely-flavored spread that’s a perfect alternative to traditional jams usually served with breads, muffins, and scones. Traditionally made with butter, I wanted to create a healthier alternative using olive oil. What I didn’t expect was how much the olive oil would actually improve the taste and overall texture of the curd. I chose the good stuff for this recipe — Colavita Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil — and the end result was a remarkably smooth and creamy curd that’s a bit spicy and “green” tasting thanks to the olive oil, and sweet, and tart all at the same time.
The first time I made it I felt like it was missing something. The taste was amazing but I was missing a little of the creaminess I expected in a traditional curd. So, I added 1 tablespoon of cream and voilà. Perfection achieved!
Smooth and creamy, this Olive Oil Lemon Curd uses only 6 ingredients. Make a batch today and let me know what you think!
- 6 tablespoons Colavita Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Juice and zest from 3 lemons, about ½ cup juice and 2 tablespoons zest
- ¼ teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 4 large egg yolks, preferably pasture raised
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream
- Over medium heat, warm oil in a heavy bottom sauce pan. Remove from heat and stir in the sugar, lemon juice and zest, and salt.
- Whisk in the egg yolks and cream until smooth and return to heat stirring constantly until the mixture is thick enough to cling to the back of a spoon, about 3 minutes. Do not allow the mixture to boil.
- Pour the curd through a fine mesh strainer into a small bowl. Cover the surface of the curd with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until ready to use.
The post Olive Oil Lemon Curd is sponsored by Colavita. I have been using Colavita’s quality products for many years and this trusted family brand is a perfect fit for my garden to table creations. For more information, please visit Colavita.com.