Y’all know I love using herbs and aromatics in cocktails and mocktails and drinks of all kinds right? I guess it’s in my garden-to-table DNA. Remember the Classy Clementine and the Blueberry Bramble Cocktails? Or that Rosemary Lemonade I made that time Martha you-know-who wrote me that nasty letter?
But what about the floral gifts from the garden? Why are they relegated to only being candy for the eyes? I decided I needed to fix this problem immediately and came up with this Lavender-Strawberry Jam Spritzer. Doesn’t it make your mouth water just saying it?!? Lavender-Strawberry Jam Spritzer. See? Told ya!
Lavender is one of the most versatile plants I grow in the garden here at Kraemer House. Not only does its graceful flowers attract bees and other beneficial insects, it has many uses in the kitchen as well.
From scented salts and sugars to infused vinegars and teas, lavender’s subtle aromatics can pack a powerful punch. The best part is you can use both the flowers and the leaves — fresh or dried.
Lavender is easy to grow — it just needs full sun and well-drained soil. Because it’s native to the Mediterranean, it prefers to dry out between waterings. Suitable for container planting, in a garden bed, or even as a border plant, lavender has been cultivated for centuries so feel confident you can enjoy growing some yourself!
When the lavender is blooming, that usually means the strawberries are ready to be picked. But mother nature can be sort of, well, finicky sometimes and it doesn’t always work out this way. This year though, she’s right on time and it’s downright magical. Strawberries and lavender are sort of match made in heaven with their ethereal flavors so it seems like a perfect idea to combine them into a refreshing cocktail.
We make strawberry jam every year and always have it on hand so it only seemed natural to use it as a sweetener in this cocktail. When mixed together with a bit of lavender syrup, vanilla infused vodka, and club soda, you’ve got something quite special.
- Lavender Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 6 long fresh lavender sprigs, flowers and leaves
- 2 tablespoons lavender syrup
- 2 ounces vanilla infused vodka
- 2 teaspoons strawberry jam
- club soda
- fresh lavender sprigs for garnish
- To make the lavender syrup, combine water, sugar, lemon juice and zest, and lavender sprigs in a small pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain to remove solids and discard; refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine 2 tablespoons lavender syrup, vodka, and strawberry jam. Shake vigorously and strain into chilled ice-filled glass. Add club soda as desired and garnish with lavender sprig. Makes 1 cocktail.