Chocolate Covered Cherry Pistachio Cookies
Extra Virgin Olive Oil replaces butter in these sweet and salty Chocolate Covered Cherry Pistachio Cookies. Bet you can't eat just one!
Recipe type: Sweet Treats
Serves: 16 Cookies
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup (about 2.5-ounces) semisweet chocolate chunks
- ⅓ cup (about 2-ounces) bittersweet chocolate chunks
- 3 tablespoons Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup dried tart cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely chopped (lightly salted and roasted) shelled pistachios, divided use
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- Add the semisweet and bittersweet chocolates and olive oil to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high until melted, about 90 seconds. Add the brown and granulated sugars and stir to incorporate. Add the eggs and stir to combine.
- Mix together the chocolate and flour mixtures until combined. Add the cherries and ¾ cup nuts and mix to combine.
- Drop by spoonfuls onto prepared pan to make 16 equal portions, about 2 tablespoons each. Lightly press with moistened fingers to flatten. Top with remaining ¼ cup nuts, pressing lightly to adhere, and bake until the edges and set and cookies are slightly cracked, 10-12 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet 5 minutes before placing on a cooling rack to cool completely.
The recipe calls for both semisweet and bittersweet chocolates. I like the complexity both add to the recipe but if you only have one or the other on hand, it's not a deal breaker! Enjoy!
Go to Colavita.com for an easy olive oil to butter conversion chart and to check out their fine products!