It’s blueberry season here at Kraemer House and, after several years of nurturing the fickle bushes, I’m happy to report that they are looking great and producing nicely. I’ve loved blueberries long before they became so popular. I’m old so that’s a long time! One of my fondest childhood memories of my grandfather is driving with him to North Carolina to pick some “real” blueberries, or huckleberries as he called them.
This year we’ve had enough to enjoy fresh, dehydrate, make jam, and freeze.
And feed the chickens.
True story. It’s a wonder we’ve had any to eat ourselves because it’s been so much fun to feed them to the chickens. The blueberry bed is adjacent to the chicken’s run and every time we’re out there picking the berries, they run back and forth clucking with eager anticipation. I try to make sure everyone gets a treat but Mrs. Hughes really gets my attention (and a few extra berries!) by jumping up for them. Did you see this little video over on Instagram? If not, here ya go and head on over there and follow all the happenings — I’m @greenthumbwhiteapron
I’m always looking for new ways to trade butter for healthier olive oil. The substitution works great in a lot of baked goods including these Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins with Pecan Streusel Topping. I know you’re going to make this one of your go-to recipes whether blueberries are in season or not.
Blueberries are one of the best fruits for freezing so no excuses! Make sure you get some while they’re in season and freeze them so you’ll have them through the winter. You’ll thank me later. 😉
Better than coffee shop muffins hot out of the oven in less than 30 minutes? Sign me up! Trade the butter for olive oil to elevate the taste and create a super moist texture.
- Pecan Streusel Topping
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup Colavita Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1½ cups fresh blueberries, divided use
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners or lightly coat with olive oil; set aside.
- To make the streusel topping, combine sugars, cinnamon, olive oil, and pecans in a small bowl; set aside.
- To make the muffins, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the olive oil and sugars until sugar begins to dissolve. Whisk in the eggs, buttermilk, and lemon zest until combined. Slowly add the flour mixture and stir to combine. Fold in 1 cup of the blueberries until combined.
- Evenly divide batter among the prepared cups (each cup will be about ⅔ full). Evenly dividing, top with remaining ½ cup blueberries and streusel topping.
- Bake 17-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean.
The post Blueberry Coffee Cake Muffins with Pecan Streusel Topping is sponsored by Colavita. I have been using Colavita’s quality products for many years and this trusted family brand is a perfect fit for my garden to table creations. For more information, please visit Colavita.com.